Friday, May 1, 2009

Last Thursday on Alberta



Tonight was the first Last Thursday of the season! I have never been before and really wanted to scope the whole thing out before trying to vend, but when the sun came out and I saw the traffic turning onto Alberta I knew I had to get out there!

It was already 6:30 when I got home so I quickly managed to fit the small amount of inventory that I had into a messenger bag and threw a folding chair and my tiny folding tv dinner table into my car! I left the larger pieces at home. I was lucky to find a spot where someone had already broken down and was set up by 7:30. It wasn't too hard with my tiny little table.

Sales were nothing to brag about but I had a great time just people watching. There were people walking on 9' stilts, goblin costumes, hot-pink tailed pomeranians, a mini-rave on the corner vacant lot. It was very entertaining. I passed out a lot of cards, and may have found someone to share a space with at the Alberta Art Hop.

I set up next to Ariel from Tiny Forge Design, who was much more well prepared than I and let my tiny little table bask in the overflow from her lanterns. She hand forges the most beautiful and simple silver jewelry. Her floral designs are right up my alley. She told me about the Art Hop and mentioned the possibility of sharing a spot. It is a Saturday (May 16th), and I work Saturdays but I think I will try to take this one off. It should be tons of fun! The entire street will be shut down and filled with artists!

At around 10:00 I decided to call it a night. I packed up and took a walk. I really enjoyed the show opening at Together Gallery, along with the musicians playing in the back room.

I will definitely try to make participating in Last Thursday a regular thing. I might even try to leave work early and bring a REAL table and more work!

(image credits go to the sites of Together Gallery and Tiny Forge Design...being ill prepared I left my camera behind tonight!)

1 comment:

  1. You will get more organized and then it will be fun and easy. The Portland art scene seems to be exploding with talent and interest by the general public in this talent. How exciting to be a part of such creative energy!

    ReplyDelete